Topics we will be covering:
- What is alcohol abuse?
- What are some of the warning signs of alcohol abuse?
- What risk factors are involved?
- Where can you get help?
- What are some ways you can manage the struggle of alcohol abuse?
What is Considered a Drinking Problem?
Pattern of alcohol use that includes difficulty controlling drinking; drinking too much, too often and not being able to stop. It includes withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking. The disorder leads to difficulty functioning in your daily life. This puts your health and safety in jeopardy.(Alcohol Use Disorder, 2020 p.3)
Warning Signs of Alcohol Abuse
- Not able to limit the amount of alcohol consumed
- Wanting to cut down but can’t
- Cravings or strong urge to drink
- Not able to keep up with work, home and school demands
- Drinking when dangerous
- Continue drinking even when harming your health and relationships
- Having withdrawal symptoms
- Having intoxication symptoms
- Develop tolerance, need more for same effect
- Drinking takes up most of your time (Alcohol Use Disorder, 2017. P.1)
Who is Most Likely to Abuse Alcohol?
RISK FACTORS of Alcohol Abuse:
- History of alcoholism
- Psychological-mental health problems
- Poor supervision at home
- Starting drinking at young age
- Poor performance in school
- Influence of peers.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
Alcohol Abuse Treatment
Here are some resources that will help you in overcoming your alcohol abuse. You absolutely can do it, and nothing should prevent you from reaching out for professional help.
- Enter treatment center
- See a mental health professional
- JOIN a support group- AA or Celebrate Recovery
- Avoid situations where alcohol is served
- Find hobbies or activities that don’t involve alcohol (Alcohol Use Disorder, 2020. P. 3)
There are also ways that you can help yourself recover. Here are some ways that you can aid yourself on your road to recovery!
Find healthy ways to manage stress!
How to Manage Stress:
Activities to manage stress include meditation, exercise, enjoy nature, listening to music, and talking with friends and family (Alcohol Use Disorder, 2017. p. 1-2)
Spiritual steps for recovery: Admit to being powerless, yield to God’s will, admit sin in your life, accept God’s help to change, ask for forgiveness and pray for God’s direction for life
(Hunt, 2008 p.45-46)
Dr. Victoria Smithers