Hello, I’m Dr. Victoria Smithers, a Family Medicine Doctor at Harbor Heights Family Medicine, located just outside of Dallas, TX. Cultivating balance and wellbeing in a stressful world is a part of my daily life as I deal with patients as they navigate life. Let’s talk about the impact of stress and ways that you can reduce the amount of stress in your life.
The Impact of Stress on Our Lives
Life presents everyone with various challenges, and pain, loss, and tragedy are common experiences for many. These life events can cause stress, potentially leading to mental illness and other health issues. Since 1999, I have been in private practice, frequently encountering patients who suffer from stress-related illnesses, anxiety, generalized stress, PTSD, and disorders such as panic attacks and insomnia.
Understanding Stress and Anxiety
Stress is our body’s response to demands or threats that disrupt our normal balance. As stress accumulates, it can affect our health, causing issues like headaches, indigestion, and palpitations. In more severe cases, chronic stress can lead to panic attacks, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, insomnia, and other mental health issues.
Coping and Overcoming Stressful Times in our World
Coping with stress involves managing the release of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. When stress becomes chronic, these hormones can negatively affect various body systems, potentially leading to severe health problems such as heart disease, ulcers, hypertension, and mental health issues.
10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Stress
- Spend time with family and friends: Nurture your personal relationships, which can significantly contribute to your overall happiness.
- Exercise regularly: Engage in light to moderate intensity aerobic exercise for 30 minutes, five days a week, and consider incorporating yoga or meditation into your routine.
- Simplify your life: Avoid overextending yourself, and create space for self-care activities like exercise and meditation.
- Focus on accomplishments: Stay positive and encourage yourself by celebrating achievements rather than dwelling on missed opportunities.
- Don’t dwell on problems: Develop resilience by finding something positive in challenging situations.
- Avoid alcohol, drugs, and unhealthy foods: Limit your consumption of caffeine, high-fat foods, and processed foods, which can worsen your mood and fatigue.
- Meditate and pray: Find quiet time to connect with your spiritual side, focus on the present moment, and decrease your stress levels.
- Laugh more: Use humor as a way to lower stress and improve overall wellbeing.
- Serve others: Engage in volunteer work, mission projects, and community service to find purpose and reduce stress.
- Spend time in nature: Reconnect with the Earth and appreciate the natural beauty around you to lower stress and enhance your connection to the world.
Cultivating Balance and Wellbeing in a Stressful World
These ten simple steps can help you reduce stress and improve your overall health and happiness. I offer a faith-based workshop called ‘Rock Solid’ that focuses on living a Christ-centered life and providing a step-by-step approach for coping with conflict and life crises. If you’re interested in learning more, please email me at email@example.com.
If you would like to know Jesus Christ the way I do, please watch the video below and then connect with us if you feel like you want to. God loves you and we care. You matter and there is hope for you in Christ Jesus our Savior.