Let’s talk about how to overcome relapse and maintain sobriety. For one to effectively overcome relapse and maintain sobriety there must be adjustments and control of mindset. To ensure that old behaviors and ways of thinking do not hinder one’s newfound path of living. This usually requires one to change the people, places, and things that were a part of the addict’s life. While findings have shown there is a small percentage of people who’ve managed to successfully overcome drug addiction on their own, most people who try to quit on their own eventually succumb to failure. The cycle of quitting, craving, and relapse continues to keep people trapped. To find how how God can protect you, click here.
Begin With Small Steps
This is the reasoning that individuals must initiate small steps to change an established pattern, must stay away from the things that insight temptations, replace old habits with new habits, and learn to forgive and love them selves. It has been found that inpatient rehab outpatient rehab is one of the best alternatives for defeating the entanglement that addiction has on the life of an individual. For this reason, every drug rehab center has a 12-step program in place since it recognizes addiction as a long-term problem and attempts to help patients recover through a synergistic approach to therapy.
Learn New Skills and Interventions
Understanding the takeover addiction has on the mindset of individuals and how it leads to the offset of the entirety of the person, their ability to break free is compromised. Knowing this to achieve rebuilding the individual’s ability to rationalize, in terms of reality and how to overcome adversity is optimal for a change of mindset that will be necessary to maintain recovery/ sobriety. And the learning of skills and interventions such as follows.
- Developing healthy eating habits- well dealing with habits of addiction one’s eating habits causes traumatic effects on one’s health.
- Developing a sleeping routine- getting adequate sleep, for it is beneficial for one’s mental health. It is proven mental health can induce sleep problems, which adds to the mental health problem. Some medications can assist through the initial process, yet it is not always beneficial for all.
- Regular exercise- exercise generates positive results for mental stability. Start with realistic goals and slowly increase this process as self-confidence builds. By engaging for short periods on a set time basis.
- Healthy thinking- this coping tool helps one to better manage and identify unhealthy thinking.
- Relaxation- this method helps with calming down self, in hopes to avoid irrational decision making. Examples of methods to reach relaxation, cognitive behavioral skills, mindfulness, mindset, meditation, deep breathing, music, art, and journaling.
Develop an Action Plan
The action plan is designed to help one to rethink and identify the present stressors. The goal is to enable one to proceed in the safest way possible, the following are the steps contained in an action plan.
- Determine what issue is at hand- what is causing the issue and how is it causing the issue.
- Organized goals- what solutions will best address the concern, these must be realistic and concrete.
- Generate solutions- this is by brainstorming, and here is where seeking the help of family and friends can be beneficial, in generating ideas.
- Pros and cons- after generating possible solutions, consider all positive and negative outcomes.
- Decide on the solution- it should provide the who and what is required to achieve the best outcome.
- Evaluation of the outcome- determine if the outcome was as expected, if it was not what was planned, consider adjusting the solution or taking a different plan of action may be necessary.
Changes in Mindset
Eliminating thinking patterns and thoughts that have been automatic which led to destructive behaviors. The following are areas for the processing of new thoughts.
- Overgeneralization v/s generalization- this is when one thinks of everything as wrong due to having a negative situation v/s viewing the growth made by recognition and improving in that area.
- Filtering v/s clarification- hearing only what is negative v/s adhering to what is positive, by operating without deviation.
- Insecurities v/s security- finding negativity in everything including self v/s finding positivity in everything including self.
- Overdramatizing v/s realistically- taking something that has no relevance and making a big deal out of a situation v/s focusing on the possibility there is a lack of relevance to that particular situation, to not allow the unnecessary to distract one’s focus.
Learn to Recognize Warning Signs
These indicate the need for attention to the symptoms one may have had while under control of the substance, the following are areas of concern and key points that fall under each.
- Perceptions and thoughts- lack of concentration and decision-making, forgetfulness, racing thoughts, irrational ideas, and loss of support becoming an issue.
- Emotions- intense, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, mania, irritation, fear, changes in mood, suicidal, and low self-esteem.
- Behavior- evading family and friends, lack of motivation, lack of sleep, nonattendance to appearance, use of a substance, acts of rage, and a general change in usual performance.
How to Overcome Relapse and Maintain Sobriety
Through the application of the above step-by-step action plan and guidelines, one can achieve the desired outcome of maintaining sobriety, despite challenges that may arise. Most importantly one must maintain the willingness to what to succeed. This is where prayer and scripture are essential in the building of one’s spiritual needs. Connecting with mutual-minded individuals can help to encourage one to achieve the stabilization that is required as the foundation of a new lifestyle is established. This support can include the church, family members, friends, counselors, and groups. The idea is to find the best course of action that personally fits, while the adjustments needed to maintain one’s recovery/ sobriety become so deeply rooted in one’s day-to-day lifestyle. By God’s grace and mercy, it is then so routine one can proceed courageously and live to be their best self, forward.
To find out how you can receive salvation and redemption, please watch the Great News video on this page. Connect with us if you need help. God loves you and we care.