What is Stress?
Stress is the body’s reaction to any life event that require’s an adjustment or response. Stress can be positive or negative. The response is physical, mental and emotional. Stress can be positive and help us focus, stay motivated and ready to avoid danger. Stress becomes negative when a person faces continuous challenges with no break and it causes worsening physical and emotional symptoms. It can also lead to negative behaviors. (Stress, 2018, p.1) Here is some great information about stress management tips symptoms and treatment|Dr. Victoria Smithers.
Today we will be discussing the following:
- Stress management tips symptoms and treatment|Dr. Victoria Smithers.
- What is Stress?
- What is Stress Management?
- Stress Leads to Unhealthy Behaviors
- Common Stressors
- Physical Symptoms of Stress
- Mental and Emotional Symptoms of Stress
“On your journey through life, don’t miss the SIGNS God has for you. When stress is signaling possible burnout… (read Dr. Smither’s article Job Burnout Prevention and Treatment.)
- SLOW DOWN and turn from danger…
- STOP and ask for directions…
- YIELD the driver’s seat to Christ…
- RESUME SPEED trusting in the Lord” (Hunt, 2008. p.393)
Stress Leads to Unhealthy Behaviors
- Overeating and unhealthy food
- Use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Sex and Pornography
- Shopping Excessively
- Unhealthy Internet use (Stress,2018. p.1)
- Death of loved one
- Life changes
- Having a child
- Divorce can all cause stress. (Coping With Stress, 2018, p. 1)
“My Soul finds rest in God alone;my salvation comes from him.”Psalm 62:1
Physical Symptoms of Stress
- Upset stomach
- Chest pain
- Reduced sleep
- Elevated blood pressure
- Sexual dysfunction
- Low energy
- Muscle and joint aches
Mental and Emotional Symptoms of Stress
- Difficulty concentrating
- Excessive worry. (Stress, 2018. p.2)
Stress Management Tips
- Keep a positive attitude
- Identify Stressors
- Regular Exercise
- Eat and sleep well
- Take time out for family, friends and recreation-social support
- Learn Problem Solving techniques
- Learn calming/relaxation techniques
- Address negative thinking
- Learn assertiveness and communication skills
- Avoid alcohol, drugs and other compulsive behaviors
- Learn to manage time well
- Pray continually
- Join a support group or bible study
- Christian Counseling
Each of these stress management tools will help bring you back to peace and joy as you live a Christ-centered life!
We hope you enjoyed these stress management tips symptoms and treatment|Dr. Victoria Smithers.