Here is an overview of “languishing” which is a concept that describes a state that falls between clinical depression and healthy well-being. It was first described by the psychologist, Martin Seligman, as a “low-grade depression.” People who are languishing experience feelings of emptiness, apathy, and lack of purpose. They may also have difficulty feeling pleasure or finding joy in activities they once enjoyed. What is languishing and how do I cope?
10 Ways to Cope with Languishing:
- Identify the source of your feelings. Languishing often results from a lack of direction or purpose in life. Take some time to reflect on what might be causing your feelings of emptiness and apathy. Reflect on why you may feel like you have lost yourself here.
- Set goals for yourself. Having a sense of purpose and working towards something can help combat feelings of languishing. Set small, manageable goals for yourself and take steps to achieve them.
- Connect with others. Loneliness and isolation can contribute to feelings of languishing. Reach out to friends and family or join a group or club to connect with others who have similar interests.
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness can help you stay present in the moment and appreciate the small things in life. Try meditation and spend time with God to help you stay grounded.
- Take care of your physical health. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and exercising can help improve your mood and overall well-being.
- Seek professional help. If you find that your feelings of languishing are interfering with your ability to function, seek out the help of a mental health professional.
- Seek a sense of community. Feeling connected to others is important. Joining a group or organization that shares your interests or values can help combat feelings of isolation and apathy.
- Volunteer or do something good for others. Giving back to others can give you a sense of purpose and make you feel good about yourself.
- Try something new. Sometimes, doing something different can help you find new passions and interests.
- Seek faith in God. Many people find comfort and guidance in their faith. Seek a connection with a higher power, pray, and read spiritual texts to find guidance and support.
It is important to remember that everyone goes through difficult times, and it is normal to feel a sense of languishing from time to time. With time, patience, and the right tools and support, you can move past this difficult stage and regain a sense of purpose and fulfillment in your life.
What is Languishing and How do I Cope?
If you would like to join an online care group led by a professional care coach, please fill out this form and we will contact you. You are not alone and we care. God loves you and He has made a way for you to know Him. Please watch this short video to find out how you can know God through a relationship with Jesus Christ. Hope is here. You matter and you are loved.
For content for kids, click here. Bullying can often cause kids to languish. Find help here.